[list] Tipping policies results...

Eliyahu Shiffman eliyahu at szmc.org.il
Wed Feb 23 03:15:26 CST 2005

> Besides, it's also common courtesy to tip.
> It's simply rude not to tip a service provider !!!

Doesn't that depend on the service provider?  I don't tip my doctor!  (And
when doctors are "tipped", we sometimes read about it in the newspaper.)
For that matter, I don't tip the guy that fixes my car.  Or the bus driver.
Or my accountant.  They're all service providers.  Why do we tip the waiter,
but not the cook?  Who to tip and how much is pure minhag -- there's no
absolute right or wrong about it -- and it's reasonable to want to know the
minhag-hamakom.

eliyahu