[BS/RBS list] Yesh!!!! Remember the movie Sleeper? Next year - milkshakes, potato chips... :)

Tzirel Shaffren tzirel at shaffren.com
Tue Apr 10 02:35:56 CDT 2007

Hi,

Just as my own aside: I put cocoa powder (the plain, baking kind) into low
fat plain Bio yogurt with a little sucrazit and it's delicious.  I also make
hot cocoa with plain baking cocoa and sucrazit.  As the article warns, just
because cocoa is good, that doesn't mean that the fat and sugar that usually
come with it are good, so this is how I get around it.  I am not a doctor or
health professional, so take my suggestions in context.

Take care,
Tzirel

Cocoa, not tea, calms blood pressure, study says

Mon Apr 9, 4:12 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Some may see a cup of tea as soothing but chocolate is
more likely to lower one's blood pressure, German researchers reported on
Monday.

Foods rich in cocoa appear to reduce blood pressure but drinking green and
black tea may not, according to an analysis of previously published research
in the Archives of Internal Medicine, published by the American Medical
Association.

The drop in blood pressure among participants who consumed cocoa products
for at least two weeks was in the same range as achieved by someone taking
drugs commonly prescribed to control high blood pressure.

The fall in blood pressure credited to cocoa could be expected to reduce the
risk of strokes and heart attacks by 10-20 percent, the report said.

Both cocoa and tea contain polyphenols, a class of chemicals known to help
prevent cardiovascular disease that are present in most fruits and
vegetables. But cocoa has a different type than tea -- procyanids -- that
appear to be more active.

Currently, patients with high blood pressure are urged to eat more fruits
and vegetables, although cocoa and tea products account for the bulk of
total polyphenol consumption in Western countries, the study said.

But don't start gobbling up chocolate bars just yet, wrote study author Dirk
Taubert of the University Hospital of Cologne, Germany.

Treats such as dark chocolate might be substituted for other high-calorie
desserts, based on the study's findings, but "we believe that any dietary
advice must account for the high sugar, fat and calorie intake with most
cocoa products.

"Rationally applied, cocoa products might be considered part of dietary
approaches to lower hypertension risk," he wrote.

Take care,
Tzirel Shaffren
Also Networks